Solar Eclipse Prime Page
Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21
The Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 is visible from the following geographic regions:
- Partial Eclipse: Africa, south Asia, East Indies, Australia
- Annular Eclipse: Angola, Congo, Zambia, Tanzania, south India, Malaysia, Indonesia
The map to the right depicts the geographic regions of eclipse visibility. Click on the map to enlarge it. For an explanation of the features appearing in the map, see Key to Solar Eclipse Maps.
The instant of greatest eclipse takes place on 2031 May 21 at 07:16:04 TD (07:14:50 UT1). This is 3.8 days before the Moon reaches apogee. During the eclipse, the Sun is in the constellation Taurus. The synodic month in which the eclipse takes place has a Brown Lunation Number of 1341.
The eclipse belongs to Saros 138 and is number 32 of 70 eclipses in the series. All eclipses in this series occur at the Moons descending node. The Moon moves northward with respect to the node with each succeeding eclipse in the series and gamma increases.
These eclipses all take place during a single eclipse season.
The eclipse predictions are given in both Terrestrial Dynamical Time (TD) and Universal Time (UT1). The parameter ΔT is used to convert between these two times (i.e., UT1 = TD - ΔT). ΔT has a value of 74.6 seconds for this eclipse.
The following links provide maps and data for the eclipse.
- Orthographic Map: Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 - detailed map of eclipse visibility
- Animated Map: Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 - animated map of the Moon's shadows across Earth
- Google Map: Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 - interactive map of the eclipse path
- Path Table: Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 - coordinates of the central line and path limits
- Circumstances Table: Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 - eclipse times for hundreds of cities
- Saros 138 Table - data for all eclipses in the Saros series
The tables below contain detailed predictions and additional information on the Annular Solar Eclipse of 2031 May 21 .