Solar Eclipse Prime Page
Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08
The Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 is visible from the following geographic regions:
- Partial Eclipse: North America, Central America
- Total Eclipse: Mexico, central U.S., east Canada
The map to the right depicts the geographic regions of eclipse visibility. Click on the map to enlarge it. For an explanation of the features appearing in the map, see Key to Solar Eclipse Maps.
The instant of greatest eclipse takes place on 2024 Apr 08 at 18:18:29 TD (18:17:18 UT1). This is 1.0 days after the Moon reaches perigee. During the eclipse, the Sun is in the constellation Aries. The synodic month in which the eclipse takes place has a Brown Lunation Number of 1253.
The eclipse belongs to Saros 139 and is number 30 of 71 eclipses in the series. All eclipses in this series occur at the Moons ascending node. The Moon moves southward with respect to the node with each succeeding eclipse in the series and gamma decreases.
The total solar eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 is preceded two weeks earlier by a penumbral lunar eclipse on 2024 Mar 25.
These eclipses all take place during a single eclipse season.
The eclipse predictions are given in both Terrestrial Dynamical Time (TD) and Universal Time (UT1). The parameter ΔT is used to convert between these two times (i.e., UT1 = TD - ΔT). ΔT has a value of 71.3 seconds for this eclipse.
The following links provide maps and data for the eclipse.
- Orthographic Map: Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 - detailed map of eclipse visibility
- Animated Map: Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 - animated map of the Moon's shadows across Earth
- Google Map: Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 - interactive map of the eclipse path
- Path Table: Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 - coordinates of the central line and path limits
- Circumstances Table: Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 - eclipse times for hundreds of cities
- Saros 139 Table - data for all eclipses in the Saros series
The tables below contain detailed predictions and additional information on the Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08 .